086 087 5174

What Professionals do I need and When? Your Design Team FAQ

This is a very basic list of your professional services needs for a home renovation project; please read the descriptions in the FAQ section of what each professional does. Let your architect advise you on how to select these important advisors:

  1. Check that you really need the extra consultant: will they add value through increased certainty and more elegant design?
  2. Are there alternatives? Some sub- contractors include design services for some building elements.
  3. Ask your architect to suggest 2-3 options for each role
  4. Your architect/ Assigned Certifier will apportion design and certification duties to them.
  5. They may need to sign statutory forms under Building Control Regulations
  6. Ensure that all these duties have been itemised in a written fee proposal before they start work.

Essential on Nearly All Domestic Projects

  • Architect
  • Project Supervisor Design Process (PSDP) for Health and Safety (usually your architect)
  • Structural Engineer

Small Projects under Building Control Regulations

  • Design Certifier (usually your architect)
  • Assigned Certifier (usually your architect)

Essential on Large or Technically Complex Domestic Projects

  • Quantity Surveyor
  • Mechanical and Electrical Consultant
  • Fire Safety Consultant

Not Usually Required for Domestic Projects

  • Interior Designer
  • Interior Architect
  • Project Manager
  • Fire Safety Consultant

Comments are closed.